About Me

Thursday 1 July 2010

Whats your mark? Your Legacy?

I lost my grandfather on 1st Feb 2010. He was pretty old (94) & we all expected it, but a loss is a loss. There are no words to describe it.
People who console & say “we know what you are going through” don’t really do, unless they have gone through it, god forbid! I haven’t seen my father so low or helpless ever & I never thought I would, for someone as strong as him!

It was my 1st visit to a crematorium, especially where I was involved in performing a few final rites. On the 2nd day as a ritual, you collect the ashes & bones & carry it all the way to a holy place where you immerse it in water where they eventually settle down & mix with the soil. It has by far been the most humbling/moving experience of my life.

Here’s a gist of what I took back that day, forever across my life -

- Whoever you boast you are – ultimately you are down to ashes & bones.
- Whichever heights you soar – ultimately you immerse in water & blend with the soil.
- Whatever riches you achieve – ultimately you go back with empty hands & bare body.
- What you give back to this world, that ultimately is what you take with you.

As I sat back that evening, I knew for sure - I was no ego, no position, no status in society. I was all down to the ashes & bones which at the end left no mark as they immersed in water & became one with the soil.

With a deep feeling of void & solitude, I was just left with 3 questions which I pass on to you my dear friend -

- Who would eventually turn up for your funeral & your final rites?
- What would your obituary look like? What would the people have to say about you?
- What was the mark you left? What is it that you take from this world? What is the legacy you leave behind?

Else ultimately its all down to bones & ashes....

5 comments:

Juggernaut said...

Nice blog. Ur blogs always gives food for thought. Touching.

$h0unak said...

Mera Naam Joker cha gana athawta...
"ek din bik jaega mati ke mol.. jag me reh jaenge pyare tere bol..."

You're remembered by the world for what you did, and you're remembered by your friends for the words you had for them in times of need...

ofcourse, thats my interpretation..

Abhishek Mishra said...

Absolute blend of reality with emotions

Unknown said...

As always so true and real.....

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.