About Me

Monday 28 July 2008

“God's Whispering, Life’s calling – But Who's listening?”

One night I woke up with a sudden feeling of uneasiness & restlessness. It was as if I was I jolted with a strong force. I could feel a weary body & a heavy head, full of questions, expecting me to answer at that very moment. Why at this point of time?

As I sat on my bed, fully drenched & all confused, I looked around & was bewildered to find no one around. I was perplexed – who was asking me all these questions & amongst all those surviving on planet earth – why me? That too, at this point of time - 2.35 AM?

It felt as though time would stand still, it just wouldn’t move, it would wait for eternity till I answered the query that all the questions led me to – “What is the purpose of your life? What is your Life’s Calling?”

I was all but 25 years of age, just passed out of college, working with a great Indian MNC, an IT Services firm, life looked complete & content. Daily work routine, hanging out with friends on weekends, pursuing hobbies & collecting my pay cheque at the end of every month – all looked easy & cozy. Life was calm, peaceful & serene.

Why this sudden jolt? Just as every 20 odd year old would, I went asking all my friends the very same question that posed me painful days & sleepless nights “What is the purpose of your Life? What is your Life’s Calling?”

Probably I had given all of them just another topic to mock about. But none of them seemed to have an answer. This added to my urge &I was determined to dwelve deeper & decipher that very purpose – the Calling of My Life for which I was born.

So, what is this “Life’s Calling & Purpose” all about? Aren’t we already doing enough of what we are supposed to? Our Studies, Work, Careers, Financials, Responsibilities towards parents, sibling, children? Aren’t we solving many purposes already? We are already burdened & feel we can’t take any more. What more purposes do you want to use to serve? How many more callings do we have to adhere to? Sometimes, we tend to feel that all we have to our Purpose/Calling in lives is the jobs we do & the time we spend onto doing something for the others. Blatant as the answer may seem - It isn’t so. It may be a part of our Purpose/Calling, but it surely isn’t the purpose/calling in itself.

Life’s Purpose or Calling simply defined is a vocation or profession. But in reality, it is about living with the conviction that what we do matters to others, we make a difference & that because of our existence others have breathed an easier life.

God created us & he has a purpose for each one of us. God has gifted all of us with different skills, talents & passion. We are all unique & with a reason. It is for us to find the unique quality, the purpose & lead a life that makes a difference. It is for us to discover god’s purpose & honour it.
So, how do we find this life’s Purpose/Calling?

Ask yourself some simple questions, the answers of which could lead you to it
What is your personal background?
What are your abilities/capabilities?
What according to you is god’s gift (Unique Skill/Talent) to you?
What according to you is your biggest passion?
What is it that you can do to spread love & happiness or make a difference to the people around?

God speaks to us, through us, through our own thoughts. Most of the times; when we are indecisive or feel lost; god leads us to the right path & in the right direction
Even during the smooth times, he keeps whispering to make us realize there’s more to life- to ensure we venture out to do what he wants us to. Circumstances, Conditions & Events are all incidental – they are just a means to achieve what we set out for. All that matters is U & the purpose/calling within U & it does matter – May be not for us but for those who need us.

Surprisingly not all of us adhere or reciprocate to gods whispers/Life’s Calls. Most of us don’t understand them, many of us ignore them & a handful of us tread the path which was chosen for us until one day when god awakens us & leads us to do what he wants us to do - the purpose with which he created us.

There is no age when you awaken to your life’s purpose or calling – some of us realize it in the early stages of our life while the others at a later point of time. What matters in the end though is that we ought to make a difference to the world around us.

We all live a life of our purpose, & that the purpose of our life is not just to live!

God’s whispering, Life’s calling – But are we listening?

1 comment:

Shahista said...

Good one!! The article has made me to rethink what is my real purpose.